Presentation on magnet programs in school happening today | News
TUCSON, AZ (Tucson News Now)- School officials say preparing for a good career starts with succeeding in college and even before that in high school too.
Happening today, you can learn more about how to do just that.
Some say preparations can start even sooner, in the pre-teen years at the middle school. It is all about the magnet programs.
There are two magnet programs at Cholla High School. One of which is a law related studies course, that is on track for students who want to go into law enforcement or become a lawyer. The other is an international baccalaureate program, or IB program.
They all take college level courses and if they do well enough, they get an IB diploma, which is recognized all over the world.
Many of those students do well in college and many are first generation students too. There are about 300 students in the IB program at Cholla, about 18 percent of the student population, and the number keeps growing every year.
There will be a presentation tonight at Pister Middle School on South Cardinal on these programs, and there will be another on December 13, at Mansfield Middle School; with both presentations running from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m.
Copyright 2012 Tucson News Now All rights reserved.
Top South Tucson Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Thousands of TUSD high school students prepare to graduate
- Arizona falls short in new study on drownings and pool safety
- Pima County Health Department restarts TB testing today
- TPD still searching for suspect in east side convenience store stabbing
- 'All clear' given on possible hazmat situation at Cherrybell post office
- Sullivan’s Steakhouse hosting a ‘glitzy’ Great Gatsby-inspired event
- AZ Game and Fish meetings for public comment on licensing structures
- Two new battalion chiefs promoted in the Golder Ranch Fire District
- Amphitheater School sites to offer free breakfast, lunch during summer school
- Amphitheater Public Schools ‘Class of 2013’