Turkey day comes early to El Barrio | News
TUCSON, AZ (Tucson News Now)- Thanksgiving is coming two days early for some in Tucson. This morning is Thanksgiving in El Barrio.
Volunteers arrived a half hour ago, with the doors officially opening at 11:30 a.m., this Thanksgiving meal is being put on by Luz Social Services.
They are expecting 2,000 meals, more than last year, as the need seems higher this year. More and more it is struggling families, younger children and even relatively young couples who are needing a little extra help.
While they don't condone it, some students will be missing school today. They understand it, having something special to look forward to and share. Faces light up after they finish the meal, they are thankful, grateful and ask to help clean or wash up afterward.
Donations are overwhelming, heartwarming to see. Any donations that are left over from the Thanksgiving meal will be used for Christmas.
There are also resources available to help those in need, once the meal is over too.
Stay with Tucson News Now this morning we will be checking in the kitchen as they get ready for the big day.
Copyright 2012 Tucson News Now All rights reserved.
Top South Tucson Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Holiday activity advisory from Coronado National Forest officials
- Church offers series on Christian holiness and human sexuality
- Sullivan’s Steakhouse hosting a ‘glitzy’ Great Gatsby-inspired event
- AZ Game and Fish meetings for public comment on licensing structures
- Two new battalion chiefs promoted in the Golder Ranch Fire District