TFD says extension cord malfunction is cause of duplex fire | News
TUCSON, AZ (Tucson News Now)- UPDATE: Tucson Fire is saying the cause of the early morning duplex fire was a malfunctioning electric connection in an extension cord. The fire began on the back porch and involved a refrigerator and an extension cord that wasn't working correctly.
No restrictions to traffic, though TFD investigators are still on the scene.
According to TFD several people were treated for smoke inhalation, and another for burns to their head.
Seven residents are without homes this morning, say TFD officials, as the fire consumed one building and damaged several others. Red Cross is working with several of the displaced residents.
Tucson Fire responded around 5:30 a.m. to a fire on the 300 block of W. Irvington near 12th Avenue.
According to TFD Captain Barrett Baker, they received multiple 911 calls from residents in the area about smoke and fire in the duplex.
Stay with Tucson News Now for updates on the situation as they come in.
Copyright 2013 Tucson News Now All rights reserved.
Upcoming Events near South Tucson
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Celebrate the Holidays - bring a toy or canned good to the Soul Music Celebration
- CHHS offers easy tips to ensure an enjoyable holiday meal
- Fourth Avenue Street Fair, winter edition, begins today
- Holiday good will project - helping a veteran and his family
- Larry H. Miller Chrysler raises funds for the Sonoran Science Academy