Stolen tax returns, good reason to file taxes ASAP | News
TUCSON, AZ (Tucson News Now)- Thieves filing in your name and stealing tax return money is being called the nation's fastest growing crime.
If you haven't done so already, this is another reason for getting your tax returns in the mail as soon as possible. If you get in your paperwork now, you have a better chance of beating a bad guy to it.
What happens is a thief uses your social security number and your name to file a return and get a refund, your refund.
It's being called the fastest growing crime, according to the Consumer Sentinel Network, a law enforcement group that fights fraud.
The IRS says in 2012 it stopped about 5 million tax returns, asking for $20 billion in refunds because of suspected fraud.
The most common way you would find out you're a victim of fraud, is getting a rejection notice, if you file online.
The sooner you file, the sooner you keep a crook from filing in your name.
If a thief files before you do, your return could be delayed up to six months, and you could spend hours proving to the IRS that you are who you say you are.
Copyright 2013 Tucson News Now All rights reserved.
Top South Tucson Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Marana swim program to get a helping hand from Foothills Optimist Club
- Holiday activity advisory from Coronado National Forest officials
- Church offers series on Christian holiness and human sexuality
- Sullivan’s Steakhouse hosting a ‘glitzy’ Great Gatsby-inspired event
- AZ Game and Fish meetings for public comment on licensing structures